Handvo (Vegetable Cake) | Rutal Mahajan
Handvo is a vegetable cake, it is a big part of the gujarati cuisine. it is often made with bottle gourd filling and many other vegetables. its a savoury dish and is usually eaten for breakfast.
Handvo is usually crisp from the outside and soft from the inside. I absolutely love when i get the hard part that's my favorite route part of eat a handvo i also love to eat it with some chunda or with some chutney or even tomato ketchup.
- 500g. Handvo flour (Readily available at market /It can be made at home by grinding in proportion of 3 cup rice 1 cup toor daal 1/4 cup chana dal 1/4 cup urad dal)
- 2 Cups Grated bottle gourd/ grated cabbage
- 1 Cup Grated carrots.
(any vegetable of your choice can be added)
- Half cup pigeon pea(green toor Dana)
- 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic chilly paste
- 1/4 cup Ground peanuts
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 2 Tsp Mustard seed
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 4 Tsp Sesame seeds
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Note: No oil required if made in Amway queen sauce pan.
In oven also it can be made without oil but it gives dhokla like texture, if made in glass bowl.
Method of preparation:
- Soak the handvo flour overnight for 7-8 hours. (To make without soda bi-carb, soak 7-8 hours and then keep in refrigerator for 3-4 hours. Depending on the fermentation)
Proper fermentation is the key point of this dish
consistency of the batter should be neither too thin nor too thick, make idli like batter
- Add all the ingredients in the batter and mix it well.
- Heat the oil in the pan and add mustered seeds, curry leaves, sesame seeds ,asafoetida and let it tempered (for making in amway queen do not add oil just temper the seeds first then add curry leaves. Add asafoetida at last)
- Add the batter mix to the pan.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top of the batter in the pan.
- Cover with a lid. And let it cook on low flame for some time. (time required may vary upon the thickness of the batter in the pan)
- Check by inserting toothpick or knife in the handvo. If it’s cooked no traces will seem on knife or toothpick.
- Carefully take the handvo out of pan and flip it.(Tip: take the same sized dish. Take out the handvo in that dish and carefully transfer it to the pan from other side)
- Cook for some time keeping the lid open.
- Take out the handvo and flip in the dish.
Cut this spicy Handvo Vegetable Cake in pizza like pieces and serve hot with chutney, sauce or curd.